Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Bike Crash and Broken Finger


When life gives you lemons – I say make a smoothie:


My new saying doesn’t flow like the original.


On the morning of July ,1 I crashed on my tri bike breaking my left pinky. 


How it happened:

I was finishing my last four minute interval in aero position when I hit a patch of sand to the right of the white line on Moore Rd in Oro Valley. I watched my front tire lose contact with the ground sending me head first into the road. 


My head, shoulder and arm are fine; amazingly. Amazing, lucky, blessed. 


My left pinky didn’t fare as well. It was pointed in a direction no pinky should ever point. 


At the ER I had four stitches near my elbow and my pinky was pulled back into place. I have a lot of road rash on my left side. 


After a visit to Tucson Orthopedic two days later, the doctor reset the pinky bone, again, (i.e. pulled back into place) and I have a new splint on it.
Hopefully by next week the pinky bone will stay in place. If not – surgery.


A big thanks to:
The random guy, Alex who saw me crash and drove me home.
Dan, who always answers his phone when I call.  
Torie, who drove me to the ER.
Missy, who walked my dogs while in the ER and gave support.
Vanessa, who picked me up and took me to get the good pain meds.


I have a great support system and am so thankful.


I don’t think I will be biking for a very long time but I have all my faculties, I can still train and race in other sports, and will practice yoga and Pilates more.


I am now one-armed and feel a new sense of gratitude and wonder. It’s hard to multitask so I’m slowing down and living in the moment more than I ever have. 

Anyone interested in a pink, Quintana Roo tri bike? Size Medium? 

No comments:

Post a Comment