Monday, August 4, 2014

Ironman, Transformation, Running

“Everything can be transformed.  Every single thing.  Goodness exists.  It is all around.  It’s just sleeping.  It can be wakened.”

I love this quote. It is from the TV show Enlightened. The main character is kooky, lovable, and often makes bad choices - hmm.... sounds like someone I know.  


As I get ready to run my long run this morning I’m thinking about transformation. I’m thinking about how the last six years I lived triathlon. How becoming a triathlete changed my mind and body, how it made me change into a person who could do anything she set her mind to. 


As I watch friends and bloggers write about their transformation while training for Ironman, I am excited, thrilled, and jealous. And since I’m obsessed with nutrition, training, and mental preparation for Ironman I have been reflecting on my own past training and racing. 


After I finished a race I never thought much about the accomplishment of it. I did it. Okay, what’s next? I’m always wondering what’s next.


For now I relegate Ironman to remembering long training rides runs; and how good I felt after. I remember finishing my first, second, and third Ironman and the family and friends I shared them with. 

Coeur d'Alene 2009, Arizona 2010, Wisconsin 2013
I took for granted that they would just happen and would continue happening.


The What’s Next for me is my transformation into a runner: #50marathons50states. I am scaling down and focusing on the run, getting leaner and faster. 
                                                                                   
Monologue from Enlightened:

No comments:

Post a Comment