Monday, September 15, 2014

Something for the First Time - Long Run

This blog post was inspired by an Instagram photo I saw today after my 11 mile run.
www.teamallamerican.com
I love Team All American's Instagram photos - very inspirational. 

When I saw the post I began thinking of the last time I did something for the first time. I love remembering my first triathlon, my first marathon, my first Ironman, my first 50K. You never forget a race distance you did for the first time.
Then I remembered that just this morning I did something for the first time: I ran a new training run course that I had been thinking about for a long time, tried doing twice but ended up cutting it short and not running it.

I had every excuse not to do the full loop I had in mind: 1) I didn’t really know how long it was 2) I wasn’t really sure if I would have enough water 3) there was no turning around once I started into the 6th mile.

I wanted to do the loop on Sunday for my prescribed long run so I could really know the distance but I got up late and wasn’t motivated to run. I waited until 7am to get out the front door and the sun was already over the mountains and temps were creeping up into the 80s. I ran 2.5 miles and decided to turn around for a disappointing 5 mile run.

However, Monday dawned and I woke up fairly early (5am). I felt guilty about my lack of long run this weekend and Duke City Marathon is in 5 weeks. I needed time on my feet.
At 6:30 I was out the door unsure of how far I would go.

This time, when I hit the point where I would continue on the loop or turn back for 3 miles (known) back home, I kept going. At mile 6 I entered the unknown.I didn't know how long or how far it would be back to my house.

At Mile 7 I ate my Gel and took this picture:

At Mile 8 I started to worry about running out of water. I had fleeting thoughts of calling my friend Kassandra to come pick me up. At Mile 8.5 I saw a Walmart and ran in to fill up my Camebak at the McDonald in the entry way. Lucky. 

At Mile 9 I was worrying that I would be late for work, not knowing how long it was going to take to get back home.

By the time I hit Mile 9.5 I knew I was at least 30 minutes away and I would do this.
It was hot, it felt like 100 degrees.
I was sweaty and gross.
At Mile 10 all my negative thoughts passed.

At Mile 11 I was done. And happy I was not dead and wouldn't be late for work.
I got it done. It was stressful, like most unknowns are. I worried a lot. I ran a bit faster than I would normally run on a long run.

I like this route, it’s primarily on the Loop in Oro Valley: paved, off the road, and shady in parts.
It was a good training day.

P.S. Running the Duke City Marathon will be my first race in New Mexico. 

3 comments:

  1. Spontaneous long runs are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duke City will be my first marathon. I live in NM, but will be in Tucson this weekend running 12 miles of your Loop. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete