Monday, September 28, 2015

Augusta Georgia - Getting out of the Desert

One of the favorite things I get to do as part of my job is to travel to places and check out their attractions, restaurants, and hotels.

Last week I visited Augusta Georgia. 

My boss is a former golf pro and I told him I would get him a Master’s souvenir. Ha. I couldn’t even get on the course much less a souvenir. Since I’m not a golfer I didn’t understand the exclusiveness of the Masters and how they fiercely protect their brand. I was only able to get him a golf towel with Augusta Georgia embroidered on it. 

He really wanted one of these. 
It’s okay.

I have some great souvenirs of the trip to share with my blog visitors: photos and memories.
Here they come.
But first I have to admit how awesome it was to be east of the Mississippi River. The temperature both days in Augusta was a pleasant 60 to 70 degrees; there were clouds and a bit of rain – heaven!

First let's talk art:  
This first piece of art reminded me of visiting the Phinizy Swamp Nature Park, a park outside of the city. It was like being in a different world. I love the southern landscape
Morris Museum of Art 

Morris Museum of Art


Public Art in Augusta

 Outdoor Fun: 
The Augusta Canal and Dam - outdoor recreation abounds: kayaking, running, biking.

Boat tour of the canal. They have a weekend tour in the early evening with music and drink. We missed that :-( 
The Swamp - Phinizy Swamp Nature Park
Augusta Restaurants: 

Yum Mexican. Can't compete with Tucson Mexican but delicious still. 
I'm not sure why I didn't take more pictures of food and restaurants. It was primarily due to the company. They were so interesting and I wanted to know everything about them. It's so fun to learn about people and to know people who live in these amazing places. I was more interested in talking to them then taking pictures of our food. I will say that I had two amazing dinners. One night at Frog Hollow, with an all regionally produced menu. I had the pork chops. Thick-tender - pretty amazing. And great wine. Always, must have great wine.

The Dam - Savannah River
Why do I always forget to take video? Next time.
Speaking of next time, the weekend following my visit was the Ironman 70.3 Augusta. Athletes were arriving as I was leaving. When I knew I was coming here, I tried to register for the race and extend my trip but the triathlon is so popular it was SOLD OUT. Based on my visit, seeing the city, checking out hotels and the river - the Savannah River - this is a great race destination. I might just be coming back for it next year.

P.S. I walked past James Brown's daughter at the Augusta Museum of History where she teaches music. She smiled at me. The James Brown exhibit was so interesting. He was so driven. I'm listening to his music now.


No comments:

Post a Comment